Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  Swap Mechanical  ~  Will a Subaru cartridge work?
nosaki faki
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:08 am  Reply with quote
Knowlege Seeker

I started on my turbo today, when I pulled it apart I noticed a few chips on the inside tips of the compressor wheel.
Thought no worries I will just buy a new wheel and all will be good, looking deeper it is very hard to find a small 16g wheel with the flat back as mine is.
Then I remembered I had rebuilt a subaru turbo a while back (for my still unfinished sigma rally car) it had a superback wheel now I could buy the wheel and rebuild mine using the kit I had done the subaru turbo with. I never got fitted so free turbo rebuild kit.
As it turns out this was also a 16g small wheel in perfect condition.

The subaru cartridge also has lines for water cooling and is in better condition than the mitsubishi one.

So my plan is:
Use the Mitsubishi housings with the subaru cartridge.
Use the mitsubishi turbine wheel as the subaru one is the larger td05h type so won't fit in the mitsubishi housing, with the better nick compressor wheel from the subaru turbo.

My questions are:
Everything seems to measure up ok in regards to the cartridges being the same, but is there something I have missed that stops me from doing this?
Will I need to have the turbo re balanced? or are the components well enough balanced that it won't be necessary?