Project Zero G Forums Forum Index
<  General  ~  Bending Hard Fuel Lines
jeffball610
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:59 pm  Reply with quote
Too Much Time on His Hands

So I've posted my progress and troubles of bending up new fuel lines for the 4G63 510 project and thought I would share all of my findings here.
First off, bending 3/8" fuel line isn't that hard, but it takes some effort. First thing you need is a tubing bender. (duh) Everyone says to go out and buy a decent bender, and that's good advice. I found my cheap bender's handles much too short and the radius too small. Also with the resistance of the bender, it makes it tougher than it needs to be. Get something with "rollers".
Now, about that bending radius. 3/8" line doesn't like tight bends. It will kind and fold over on itself without too much effort. Two ways around this are to either fill the line with sand, baking soda, ice, or anything to keep it from collapsing on itself. However, this does not work for long sections. Just try to fill 8ft of line with sand. Good luck.
I found that by making a shorter bend and then moving the bender a little and doing another small bend that you get much better results. The radius of the bend will be larger, but at least fuel can actually flow through it.
My last tip: use a lift. I had so many problems trying to lay on my back, check my work, get up, walk 10ft, make a bend, crawl back under the car, find out I bent it too far, try to straighten it, bend it again... It's a pain in the ass.
Okay, so I have one more tip. Use all of your old 4G63 junk to help straighten that coil of fuel line you just bought. Standard fuel line comes in 25ft coils and that's just about enough to do a small car like the 510. Here's the beast that straightened it all:

Yep, that's two idler pulleys and a water pump pulley mounted to a Harbor Freight engine stand. If you look close, you will see that I welded the balance shaft tensioner pulley to the inside of the water pump pulley. The vice grips are to help hold the brackets. I found that if I put too much effort into it, the brackets would move and would fall out of alignment.

From this view you can see that the groove in the water pump pulley is just the right size for 3/8" fuel line.

And another view to show the alignment of the pulleys and just because.

Now, if I can just figure out how to connect my Z31 fuel pump to -6 fuel lines. Any advice? The lines are too short to use my flare tool and are just smaller than -6. (they're about 8mm or 5/16")